This National Safety Month, we’re putting a spotlight on tips for our customers to practice natural gas and electrical safety in their home or business. Following these tips and sharing them with your family and friends can help protect your loved ones and our community.
- Reach your #yardgoals around natural gas lines.
You might not think about it, but the lines that bring you natural gas service run underground. This means if you dig on your property without knowing where those lines are, you run the risk of breaking one. This can knock out your gas service and cause a dangerous situation for you and your neighborhood. Call 811 before you dig and we’ll come out and mark your underground utilities, so you can work your outdoor magic safely. Learn more here.
- Keep your cool without overloading your outlets.
As summer heats up, we tend to have more and more devices that need to be plugged in. Don’t plug multiple high-powered appliances into the same outlet and be careful not to overload power strips. Never chain power strips together. Find more tips for home electrical safety here.
- Celebrations with balloons should spark joy, not fires or power outages.
We get it. Between Pride Month, graduations, summer birthdays and even appreciating small joys and victories, there’s a lot to celebrate and mylar (metallic) balloons are a fun addition to your celebration. Just remember to pierce and fully deflate them when the party’s over. Mylar balloons conduct electricity, and if they hit our power lines, they can cause outages or even a fire.
- Be a hero, safely.
If you see a downed power line, or if you smell natural gas or suspect a gas leak call 911 and SDG&E (1-800-411-7343) right away. Never touch a downed power line. While our lines are designed to de-energize in these situations, you should always assume the line remains energized for your safety.
- Share with family and friends.
Passing on this information to your loved ones can help keep them safe. Educating others on gas and electrical safety could save them from harm as well as costly repairs.
Remember, while our electricity and natural gas keep our lights, stovetops, and water heaters running, misusing them can be very dangerous. For more safety tips, visit sdge.com/safety.